Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Hours of Operation

Parking Restrictions

Accident Reports

Police Reports

Applicant Fingerprinting

Solicitor Permits

National Night Out

Hours of Operation

The Police Department Business hours:

Monday & Wednesday: 7:00a.m. - 7:00p.m.

Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday: 7:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.

Contact can be made with an officer at the front desk 24 hours a day. If the lobby is closed, please use the intercom between the doors to contact the Dispatch Center for an officer to respond to meet with you.

Top of Page

Parking Restrictions

Q) Do I need a permit to park on the streets overnight?

A) Yes, per City Ordinance 7.04, no vehicle shall be parked on any public street within the City limits between the hours of 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. except with a night parking permit.

Q) Where can I purchase a street parking permit and how much are they?

A) Parking Permits are sold in a few locations through out the City of Waukesha

Purchase 3-day, monthly, and quarterly street parking permits at the Police Department.

Monday & Wednesday: 7:00a.m. - 7:00p.m.

Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday: 7:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.

Purchase the 3-day permits at any of the following Gas Stations:

Stop N' Go 910 West St. Paul Avenue

Speedway 521 South Grand Avenue

Speedway 400 Summit Avenue

Speedway 1600 East Sunset Drive

The cost of the permits are as follows:

3 - Day permit = $4.00

Monthly permit = $12.00

Quarterly permit = $30.00

For further questions regarding parking, please call (262) 524-3770.

Q) Where can I purchase a permit for one of the Municipal parking lots or ramps in the downtown area?

A) Permits for the Municipal parking lots are sold at either Parking Ramp located at 241 South Street or 212 East St. Paul Ave, from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m..

The costs of the permits are as follows:

Monthly Lot = $25.00

Monthly Ramp = 30.00*

* there is a $5.00 deposit for the parking ramp card key.

For further questions regarding parking in the downtown municipal lots or in the parking ramp, please call (262) 524-3622.

This notice is printed on the reverse side of parking permits!

NOTICE: Not valid for vehicles parked in violation of ord. 12.07 abandoned junk or dismantled motor vehicles.

Vehicles must be moved at least every 72 hours.

1 . City Ordinance 7.04 (6) - No vehicle shall be parked on any public street within the City between the hours of 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM except with a night parking permit.

2. A parking permit is valid only for the period shown.

3. Night parking is restricted to even numbered sides of the street on even days, odd numbered sides of the street on odd days. The date AFTER midnight will determine the even or odd numbered day.

4. The vehicle must be parked within 100 ft. of the City address shown on the reverse side.

5. The permit MUST be attached to the rearview mirror and displayed face out through the windshield.


7. Permits are not valid during snow emergencies.

8. There shall be NO ALL NIGHT PARKING (with or without permits)

a. Within the central business district for more than 30 min. between 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM.

b. For any vehicle with the gross weight exceeding 10,000 lbs.

c. For any BOAT or TRAILER.

d. In violation of any posted parking restrictions.


9. Parking permits are non-transferable and non-refundable.


Top of Page

Accident Report Information

Q) How much time do I have to wait to get a copy of my accident report?

A) It is generally 5 working days before your accident report is ready to be picked up. The accident report is completed by the officer, then reviewed by the accident investigator. If corrections or additions are needed, the report is returned to the officer. After completion, it is taken to the clerical section for computer entry and filing.

Q) How much does an accident report cost?

A) If you pick up a copy of the accident report at the police station, the cost will start at $1.50 for a normal 2 vehicle accident. If you request the accident report to be mailed, you must send in a written request along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. For this service, the cost starts at $2.50.

Q) What information do I need to get my report?

A) The accident reports are filed by date. To best find your accident report, we need the date it occurred, as well as the driver's name.

Q) Did the other driver get a ticket?

A) The officer will not generally issue a citation at the scene of an accident. Accident reports are forwarded to the City Attorney for review, and consideration of charges. Citations, if warranted, will be mailed to the operator.  This process can take up to 3 to 4 weeks. Under the following circumstances, the officer may issue a citation at the scene:

1) The Officer observed the violation.

2) There is a clear cut violation.

3) Operation while Intoxicated is involved.

For any further questions regarding accident report, call (262) 524-3802

Top of Page

Police Report Information

Q) How do I get a copy of a police report?

A) Contact the Records section of the Waukesha Police Department at (262) 524-3808. Written requests should be directed to Captain Dan Baumann.

All record requests are subject to review. Records are not public until the person/s have been through court and a disposition is received. There are several exceptions.

Not all police contacts result in a written report. Some incidents are documented in the dispatch log as a matter of information.

Landlords can obtain copies of police contacts in regards to tenant problems, i.e. noise complaints.

Q) Is there a charge for reports?

A) Yes. Requests for copies are $0.25 per page.

Q) What is the difference between a "record request" and a "record check"?

A) A "record request" is a request for copies of reports.

A "record check" is an itemized list of arrests, with a disposition for each arrest, verifying an individual's record within the City of Waukesha. This is usually done for prospective employers, passport/visa purposes, or adoptive agencies.

Record checks are $10.00, contact Records Section at (262) 524-3802, and take 3 to 5 working day to complete. Should you need a "record check", you will need the following information:

1) The full name of the person, including middle initial

2) Date of Birth

3) Sex and Race

4) A Driver's License or photo I.D. at time of request

Should you have any other questions regarding the items listed above, please contact us. The numbers are listed above for the specific section, or call the Main number at (262) 524-3770. You can also e-mail us.

Top of Page

Applicant Fingerprinting

As of May 1, 2011, the City of Waukesha Police Department will no longer offer
Applicant Fingerprinting as a service.

Solicitor Permits

Solicitor Permits, including mandatory background checks, are $35.00 (non-refundable).
Contact Records Section at (262) 524-3802 for more information.

Top of Page