Engineering - Garbage and Recycling

Garbage and Rubbish Collection Information

October 4, 2007

Please Post this Notice for Future Reference!!!


COLLECTION SCHEDULE AND TIME OF COLLECTION - All residential dwelling units will receive once a week collection. In any week in which certain holidays occur on a weekday, the days of collection following the holiday will be one day later with collections carrying over to Saturday. The holidays are: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Containers must be at the alley's edge or at curb side by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection to avoid being missed. In order to keep the streets of the City neat appearing, it is requested that you do not place rubbish at the curb before 12:00 Noon prior to the day of collection and that you remove from the curb all empty garbage cans or other containers by 12:00 Noon on the day following collection.

WHAT IS GARBAGE? - Garbage shall be held to include all refuse, animal, fruit and vegetable matter. Garbage, before being placed in containers, shall be thoroughly drained and wrapped. Containers shall be water tight, provided with handles and close fitting covers and be not in excess of thirty-three (33) gallon capacity. Plastic bags manufactured for garbage and rubbish disposal may be used but must be tied.

WHAT IS RUBBISH? - Dry material such as ashes, household items less than 50 lbs. and not over 4 feet in length. What kind of container is required? Ashes - Metal containers with approximately one bushel capacity and with handles. No hot ashes. Other - Plastic or metal containers with handles. Containers and contents shall not exceed 50 lbs.

Plastic bags manufactured for garbage and rubbish disposal may also be used but must be tied. Paint cans - Must be opened and set out to dry in a safe place. Only dried out cans will be collected. Carpeting shall be cut to a width not more than 4 feet and rolled and tied. Rolls shall not weigh more than 50 lbs., nor be larger than 12 inches in diameter. Small amounts of lumber shall be cut to a length of not more than 4 feet and tied in a bundle. The thickness of each piece of lumber shall not exceed 2 inches. Bundles shall not weigh more than 50 lbs., nor be larger than 12 inches in diameter.

MEDICAL NEEDLES - (Needles, syringes and lancets) need to be safely packaged and taken to a registered sharps collection station. Do not put them in the garbage or with the recyclables.

WHAT MATERIALS ARE NOT COLLECTED AS GARBAGE? - Recyclables (see information elsewhere for preparing recyclables for collection), major appliances, vehicle batteries, yard waste (branches, brush, leaves, grass), earth, sod, tires, stones, 5-gal. metal pails, animal litter, building material of any description from building construction, repairing or remodeling. Household furnishings, pieces of wood or metal, automobiles or parts thereof that are over 50# or more than 4 feet long. Rubbish from factories, commercial or business operations or material resulting from businesses operated out of a private residence. Rubbish or garbage placed in paper bags, shopping bags or in 55 gallon drums WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. Motor Oil - waste motor oil will not be collected.

SPECIAL CONTAINERS - Garbage or rubbish cans made of plastic may be used, however, the contractor or city will not be liable for breakage in cold weather. Plastic bags manufactured for garbage and rubbish disposal may be used, but must be tied. Containers must be water tight, have handles, a close fitting cover and not be in excess of 33 gallon capacity.

WHERE SHOULD RUBBISH BE PLACED? - If your property abuts an alley on any side, garbage and rubbish containers shall be placed at the alley's edge, not on the street. Property owners not abutting an alley shall place containers directly behind the curb. Please place containers in one location. In the case of a heavy snow, place containers in the drive approach or on top of the snow bank at the curb's edge. DO NOT place cans on the sidewalk or on the snow bank at the sidewalk's edge. DO NOT place cans on the pavement.

The City has provided a drop-off center for the disposal of certain items not collected by the weekly garbage, large item and recycling service which is located at the Recycling Center on Sentry Drive. It is open Saturdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and for residents only. From April to Thanksgiving, it is also open on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. No household garbage nor commercial waste allowed.

October 4, 2007
To Residential Property Owners:

The enclosed information is being sent to you in order to update residents on a variety of issues which are of importance to the City of Waukesha. The primary change from previous years involves the large trash pickup, which will no longer be done on an annual basis in the Spring. Please read the information carefully. Because the mailing list includes property owners only, we ask that all property owners notify any renters and tenants about the information, if appropriate.

The owner, occupant or person in charge of each dwelling or building in the City fronting upon or adjoining any street, and the owner or person in charge of any unoccupied building or lot fronting as aforesaid, shall clean the sidewalk in front of or adjoining such dwelling or building, or unoccupied lot or building, as the case may be, of snow and ice to the width of such sidewalk within 12 hours after the snow has ceased to fall, and shall keep the sidewalk free of snow so as to prevent an accumulation of ice.
In addition, the owner, occupant or person in charge of each building or dwelling is required to remove snow upon any portion of a sidewalk which leads to the street and intersects with the curb at an intersection or corner.

Cleaning By City: Assessment of Cost
In the event the owner, occupant or person in charge of removal of snow as herein provided fails to so remove snow, at the time designated herein, the City may, through its proper officials, and at its option (though it has no obligation to do so), cause the snow and ice to be removed from any sidewalk within the city, and the expense of such removal, as determined by the Board of Public Works shall be charged to each lot or parcel of land as a current charge by the City Treasurer and entered into the tax roll as a special tax against said lot or parcel and collected in all respects as other taxes on real estate. In the event weather conditions cause ice to accumulate on such sidewalk and it cannot with due diligence be removed, the owner, occupant or person in charge shall keep the same sprinkled with ashes, salt or sand, and shall remove accumulated ice to the width of the sidewalk as soon as weather conditions permit.
All as Required by Municipal Code No. 6.12 And Police Department Regulations

City of Waukesha Municipal Code 6.12 (4)
No person shall place snow upon any public street, after the same has been cleared of snow, in such a manner as to obstruct or interfere with the free movement of traffic upon said street, or interfere with or obstruct the use of any parking space provided upon the streets.

BE IT RESOLVED that when snow or ice is placed upon city streets by any person contrary to Section 6.12(4) Municipal Code, that the cost of removal thereof by the City, shall be charged to the property owners, pursuant to Section 66.60(16) Statutes. - BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS

The City of Waukesha Public Works Department does provide curbside pickup of leaves for several weeks each fall. Leaves must be placed between the sidewalk and curb - NOT IN THE STREET - prior to the scheduled pickup. Two visits are made to each property in the city based on aldermanic district. Call 524-3600 after October 1 for the schedule.
The schedule will be published in the Waukesha Freeman and Journal Sentinel, placed on TV25 and on the City's Web site (CI.WAUKESHA.WI.US).

City water used to water lawns and gardens or other use in which the water does not enter the sewer system is charged a sewer use charge unless a credit meter is installed to meter the water used outside. Credit meters are available at 130 Delafield Street for purchase. Call 524-3600 for further details.