Commercial Construction Permit
EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2013
The Plan Review Fee will be required at time of submission for Building Permits.
All Commercial $100
- New Residential $100
- Residential Remodel $50
Please Plan Accordingly. The Plan Review Fee is non-refundable and
will be used towards the TOTAL PERMIT FEES.
New Construction and Additions to Existing Building
Please contact Community Development for Important Dwelling Code Change Effective January 1, 2008
New commercial building construction and additions to existing buildings require a building permit before construction begins.
Please note that with all plans submitted to our department we require an additional digital copy. For specific information, Click Here.
Erosion control Permits for Commercial Buildings are usually required. Please call Gabe Szecsy at (262) 524-3579 for more information.
You may need to have State Approved Plans if:
- This is a new building or structure containing more than 5,000 square feet of total floor area.
- This is an addition to a building or structure where the area of ther addition results in the entire building or structure to exceed 5,000 square feet of total floor area.
- This is an alteration of a space involving more than 10,000 square feet of total floor area.
Note: The use of 50,000 and 100,000 cubic feet of total volume in lieu of 5,000 and 10,000 square feet of total floor area may be used provided calculations are included which will show the total volume.
Requirements for Obtaining a City of Waukesha Building Permit
- An erosion control permit from the City of Waukesha Engineering Department.
- Landscaping, transformer or sidewalk bonds (if required).
- Two sets of a survey with a "wet seal" and signature of the surveyor who did the survey.
- Two sets of building plans signed and sealed by a professional architect or engineer. Each set shall contain a plan view and a cross sectional view of the proposed construction. Plans shall be drawn to a scale of not less than 1/4" - 1' were required, the plans submitted to the City must be copies of the State Approved plans. One complete set of plans must also be submitted to the City of Waukesha Fire Prevention Bureau. A permit cannot be issued until plans have been reviewed and approved by the Fire Department.
- A completed and signed Building Permit Application. The names of the owner(s), building contractor and all sub-contractors must be listed. All mechanical contractors must be licensed by the City. You must also include the estimated building cost.
- For additions and alterations you will also need to fill out Comm. 69.10(3) and ADAAG 4.1.6(2) disproportionality form which shall be submitted along with the permit application. Cick Here for an explanation of disproportionality. To view or download a disproportionality form click below:
Click Here to download information on what is needed when submitting a Building Application.